Like my short film "Celeste"

Sunday, October 26, 2008

RED post: Callé 13 for MTV Tr3s


A month ago I finished 6 or so spots for MTV Tr3s, promoting the band Callé 13.

The spots were directed by Michel Rothschild; they were shot with the RED camera in Miami in one day (crazy!) and then edited and color corrected by me in New York.

Editing in Final Cut with R3D footage was a breeze. The only pain in the butt was conforming to DPX for Apple Color. Still haven't found the best workflow here, without using Assimilate Scratch. I just wanna take full advantage of Apple Final Cut Studio before going out and getting new software. Hopefully RED will make it easy on us in the future.

So I created EDL's for all of the spots and then shot by shot I exported ins and outs from RedCine (which is still BETA?) using the EDL text files for timecode reference. So yeah, I manually exported every single shot to DPX for Apple Color CC.

During post we decided to go 2.35:1, which was probably not the best idea but definitely made the spots a lot cooler. And for the most part we had sufficient head and foot room for that. But these kind of things should definitely be discussed in pre-pro, kids!

The results can be viewed here, MTV Tr3s posted the finals online: http://www.mtvtr3s.com/video/?id=1594720&vid=289778

Happy to get your thoughts.

No comments: