Like my short film "Celeste"

Saturday, March 21, 2009

My First Full Size 35mm Sensor "Film" Camera

Emphases on "Film". By no means it is a film camera.

Just got the Nikon D90 and as I expected, it shoots (unfortunately) highly compressed video but with amazing DOF and great colors!

Here's a glimpse at my first successful test:
video
(previous tests had the auto-exposure messing with the flow of my shots. I fixed it by going to the controls menu and setting the AE-Lock button to actually lock and HOLD the exposure)

Issues so far (1 hour testing...) are the Jellocam effect, the relatively short duration of the clips and the mono audio.

Good thing is the Jellocam effect can be eliminated with the purchase of a stabilizing rig, like a Glidecam or a Steadicam Merlin.

There's nothing to do about the short duration of the clips, but if you're shooting a professional piece you'll use professional external audio recording equipment, so don't worry about the built-in mono audio.

No comments: