Like my short film "Celeste"

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Rotoscoping...


The most dreaded, boring task of post-production.

I have 18 shots to rotoscope in my newest music video and it's taking around 6-8 hours to roto per shot. And not very long shots, mind you. They're 1 or 2 seconds long each.

Here's a little (not very revealing, of course) partial screen grab of the one I'm doing right now:


When it's done, I can scratch off my list as shot #7.
Only 11 to go!

By the way, I've also just directed a 5 minute short film a couple of weekends ago. We were fortunate to get everything for free, a Canon 5D and a couple of lenses (thanks Adam!), audio and audio guy (thanks Tom!) locations (thanks Jess!), etc. It'll go into post-production next year.

And I forgot to mention, but I ended up being Seamus MacGarvey's camera assistant on a short film for charity. I was supposed to have been the director's (Jason Armstrong Beck) AC, but he ended up not shooting, so Seamus had to put with my limited knowledge (almost hit him when I lifted the dolly head up - damn hydraulics). But I was on hand passing him lenses and fixing the camera monitor/camera menu settings and loading cards. It's just I've never operated a dolly before... until that day. Now I know!

It was very inspiring to see a big Hollywood DP shooting with pretty much the same tools accessible to me. And also a good lesson in how to light, how to deal with crew, etc. Seamus always has funny names for things; that's one of the ways he helps keep a good vibe on the set. And he's Irish, so... Anyone know an Irishman who's not happy and nice?

OK, so now you've distracted me from the rotoscoping! Gotta go.

No comments: